Norfolk – The Port of Virginia is altering its terminal operating hours to address the worsening weather conditions that are forecast for the Hampton Roads region.
That forecast includes freezing rain, temperatures in the mid-to-low 20s and increased snowfall. Based on these issues the port is implementing these changes to the operations at Norfolk International Terminals (NIT) and APM Terminals Virginia (APMT). These changes supersede all operational notifications announced today at 10:30 a.m.
- Both terminals will close their gates at 5 p.m.
- Export drop-off at 4 p.m.
- Import pick-up at 3 p.m.
- Rail operations will cease at 6 p.m.
Both APMT and NIT will reopen at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, March 4; rail operations at NIT will not resume until 1 p.m.
The port’s leadership team is asking port users, customers and stakeholders to understand the dynamic situation this storm and similar weather-related events present to making operational decisions. Given the constant changes involved in these kinds of events, further modifications to operating hours may be forthcoming.
- Newport News Marine Terminal will cease operations today at 1 p.m. Operations are tentatively scheduled to restart Tuesday, March 4, open its truck gates at 8 a.m. Vessel operations will commence at 1 p.m.
- The Port of Richmond will close today at noon today and is tentatively scheduled to reopen at 1 p.m. Tuesday, March 4. For operations updates and information contact Jim Bailey, terminal manager, at 804-640-6816.
- Virginia Inland Port is closed today and is tentatively scheduled to reopen at 7 a.m. on Wednesday, March 5. For operations updates and information contact Stan Crockett, terminal manager at 540-636-4200.
- Administrative staffs of the Virginia Port Authority and Virginia International Terminals, LLC, will be dismissed today at noon with resumption of normal office operations at noon on Tuesday, March 4.
The Port of Virginia realizes these types of modifications to operating hours have a significant impact on port users, customers and stakeholders. The decision to modify the operating hours is made in the interest of safeguarding all the people working at and providing service to the port.
All port users, customers and stakeholders are asked to monitor the port’s multiple social media outlets throughout the day today and through the evening for the latest updates.
- Web: www.portofvirginia.com and www.vit.org
- Blog: http://blog.portofvirginia.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/portofvirginia?ref=hl
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/PortofVirginia