Portsmouth – The Virginia Port Authority (VPA) and its operating company Virginia International Terminals Inc. (VIT), are sponsoring the third annual electronic recycling event -- E-Recycling Day -- at the VPA's Portsmouth Operations Center in honor of Earth Day.
"This year we are very excited to have Goodwill Industries partnering with us on this event," said Heather Wood, the VPA director of environmental affairs. "We will do the materials collection and then everything we collect will be recycled through Goodwill's ReConnect program; we're pleased we can support the program in this way."
On Saturday, April 20, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., the public is invited to drop off old, unwanted electronics that would normally be put into the trash: computers, keyboards, monitors, printers, scanners, flat panel TVs, gaming systems, MP3 players, iPODs, cell phones, digital clocks, regular and rechargeable batteries, stereos, telephones, answering machines and the like can all be recycled at this event. Tube TV's will not be accepted.
Computer hard drives and memory will be destroyed on site upon request.
Additionally, anyone dropping of their old electronics will be entered in a raffle to win a $200 gift card, courtesy of VPA and VIT. At last year's E-Recycling Day more than 8,000 lbs. of electronic recyclables were collected.
The Portsmouth Operations Center is at 151 Harbor Drive, Portsmouth, VA, 23707. The address does not show up in most search engines. The directions are as follows:
From the North:
1. Take I-664 East to the Western Freeway VA Route 164 to Portsmouth.
2. Stay to the right and take the Port Norfolk Exit.
3. Make a left at the light at the end of the ramp.
4. Continue through the second light and follow the signs for E-Recycling Day.
1. Take the Mid-Town Tunnel into Portsmouth.
2. Stay left and take the Port Norfolk Exit.
3. Follow directions 3 and 4 from above.
From VA Beach/Chesapeake
1. Get on I-264 West and continue through the Downtown Tunnel into Portsmouth.
2. Take the first exit after the tunnel: Exit 7 Effingham Street.
3. Stay to the left and make a right on Effingham Street.
4. Make a left on London Blvd.
5. Exit to the right on US 58 East.
6. Take the Port Norfolk Exit.
7. Make a left at the light at the bottom of the ramp.
8. Follow the signs for E-Recycling Day.