Norfolk – The Virginia Department of General Services (DGS) recently recognized the Virginia Port Authority (VPA) for its overall increase in spending with small businesses.
Last week (Nov. 14) at the DGS Procurement Forum, the VPA was named as the recipient of the Governor's 2011 Supplier Diversity Award. The award recognizes the agency that had the most improved performance in accordance with the state's goals set forth under its SWAM program, which stands for small-, women- and minority-owned business.
The VPA had the highest percentage of SWAM expenditures during fiscal 2011.
Nomination for this particular category was not required. Rather, winners were determined by the awards committee using data from the Department of Minority Business Enterprises' SWAM Dashboard.
"We believe the reason we received this honor was the fact that our spending with SWAM businesses in fiscal 2011 increased by 66 percent when compared with fiscal 2010," said David M. James, the VPA's director of contracts and real estate. "This recognition reflects the tireless efforts by our staff to ensure that SWAM businesses are given every opportunity to do business with The Port of Virginia."
In fiscal 2011, $19.3 million or 31 percent of total discretionary spending ($60.8 million) went to SWAM businesses. By comparison in fiscal 2010 $11.6 million, or 35 percent of total discretionary spending ($33.1 million), went to SWAM businesses. Total spending with SWAM businesses increased by $7.69 million or 66 percent in fiscal 2011 when compared with fiscal 2010.